Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Problem with People Today

Sick of leftovers, I had McDonald's for lunch. We have three in our town. Each one I personally rate and today I went to the 'best' that we have. The one that usually serves hot, fresh(er) food from people who look like they might have bathed this week. It's the one in front of our WalMart - if that isn't irony at its finest.

Anyway, the menu board has been broken for at least a month, but that's ok. I want a #5. I don't get the people who stand and stare at the menu... it doesn't change. You're at McDonald's. If you don't know what you want, go back to your car, drive home, and stare into the fridge like I'm sure you usually do. As if the food will magically morph into something that sounds good to eat. Back on track: First, it's to go. Second #5 with no lettuce, no tomato, and crispy. Large size. Seriously - I know the questions they ask, I eat out often. Yes, often. The woman, who was the only one there over 45 (kids, stay in school) asked me every single question. As if I hadn't just provided all the answers to her already. Then we finish. Last question. For here or to go? Seriously. They weren't busy and she couldn't remember that? Way to make me feel important. Then her and her co-workers are passing around boxes of cigarettes because making sure they all have enough to smoke at break is WAY more important than getting my food - or helping the other customers that are waiting. The one girl, on break, is drinking her shake at the cash register, gross.

So, fast forward to the food that they throw at me. My fries aren't even halfway full as usual. Generally I politely ask them to 'make them look like the box in the picture' - today, not worth it. The Happy Meal falls halfway out of the bag on the counter when it's thrown. My Premium Chicken Sandwich that cost about 3 bucks alone: on a hamburger bun. When I inquire about that, they seem confused and say yea whatever. Seriously. If I had known that I could have gotten something else.

Granted I am extremely picky about this stuff but I look at it this one way. This is their job. It might not be the greatest job in the world, but that isn't my fault. I don't care if your job is to pass out papers, shovel crap, or throw fries in a bag. You do the best damn job you can do because that is what it is about. Maybe you feel like crap and don't like working in grease. I don't care. You are there because you either aren't ambitious enough to get something better, you lack experience, or you like it. The worse part is when the managers are there watching this and saying nothing. I think it is pathetic.

I worked fast food for 5 months as my first job until I found something with better pay. My cash drawer was never short and I was NEVER rude once - even to the most irate customer. I worked as fast and as hard as I could every single day for minimum wage on crappy hours. I don't regret a single minute of it.

1 comment:

Queen Bee said...

You're so right, Christi, you shouldn't have to settle for bad service just because it's a McJob for them.