Monday, November 20, 2006

I Hate the Third Grade

I send my kids to the best school in this county. We are actually in the city district, but I think only parents who don't care about education would send their kids there. School has always been a priority in my life.

My oldest has always struggled in school. In Preschool he was a crayon-thrower. Kindergarten, the crier. First grade brought reading struggles and second brought teacher battles. This year is a new one for me. His teacher seems to genuinely care. We often correspond through email about his progress. He isn't a difficult kid, he wants to please. It just isn't working for him. When he brings his 2 hours of homework home a night, he often has no clue. It seems as if there was no lesson taught at all and I have to teach him all over again. Tonight we learned about rocks and minerals and such. Having hated science myself, it's nice to finally learn this stuff. He picked up fast after a few crude illustrations by myself. The problem? What the heck is he doing all day? He scored great on his state reading test. He sits in the front of the class now. He learns the stuff after we work on it. Is his teacher sleeping at the wheel or does he just not 'get' her? I'm thisclose to homeschooling and I said I'd never do that. I wish summer were here.

No comments: