Tuesday, November 28, 2006

$122 for Cough Medicine?

Our family has a cough. Worse than the usual cough we have because Alyssa is basically allergic to the outside. She also can't drink milk when she's off her allergy medicine. Not because she is allergic to any diary products - my closest guess? Because cows eat a lot of grass. The allergist said maybe, but I think that was only to appease me. Anyway, our cough...

The babysitter insisted we get a new cough medicine. Generally I am very anti-medicate your cold. Not only because I think your body knows best, but because they simply don't work. Very hypocritical for someone who lives on a constant does of Advil to keep headaches at bay, I know. The babysitter, who took her daughter to the doctor for a mild fever and a cough, was told she MUST use this Mucinex Cough Syrup for three days. It is a combination cough suppressant and expectorant. I read a study a few years back that says to avoid using cough suppressants unless it interferes with sleeping. Coughing is good - gets the stuff out - and allows you to share germs with your co-workers.

Now, I am not a doctor, but I like a decongestant when I'm mucusy. Dry that crap up. This medicine is supposed to break up the mucus. But then.. instead of coughing it out and getting rid of it, it suppresses your cough. That makes very little sense to me. None, actually.

Back to why it cost me $122: I went to Krogers to buy it, against my better judgement, knowing that Tylenol Cold and Cough would work better (it does). See I hadn't eaten dinner yet and they had family packs of Pork Chops buy one get one free. So I did and then some.

1 comment:

Queen Bee said...

Huh? How can it be a suppressant and an expectorant at the same time?? Aren't those opposites??? Good deal on the pork chops :)