Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Never Gonna Give You Up

As previously mentioned, I didn't meet my father until I was an adult. I was well in to my teens before I even knew what his name was. I used to blame my mother for keeping him from me. Now that I have kids of my own from a less-than-ideal man male, I understand. She was protecting me.

The other day I heard a song by Rick Astley. When I was a kid I had a cassette single with this song on it and I would clutch it at night and cry. I would pretend that HE was my dad and he was singing to me. He just couldn't come and see me because of my mom, and well, duh, he was famous! I didn't even have a clue what the song was about, I just knew it said he was never going to give me up and never going to let me down or lie to me. It was like he was singing directly to me. It got me through a lot of painful nights. I'm very thankful for bad 80's music. And for the fact my mom suffered plenty to protect me. Not all mothers would sacrifice so much.

No comments: