Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Family Ties

My 'real' dad has never been a part of my life. Why I call him my 'real' dad still baffles me. He's never been there for me, and he's shut the door in my face more times that I care to remember. Our birthdays are one day apart, with his being first. I usually call him on his birthday so I can gloat the next day about him forgetting mine. This year I got busy and forgot. I did receive a phone call from him a few days later. He wanted to know if I wanted some old recliners he wanted to get rid of. Why on Earth..... as if I need old junk?

A few months ago I found the myspace page of the one daughter he claims (yes, there are more of 'us' out there that he doesn't). I read it faithfully, often. It doesn't mention me. I'm no more a part of her life than she is of mine. In a way, it hurts.

If I could go back, I would take back ever meeting him, which I did finally at 18. At least then I could still have the fantasy that he was great and perfect and out saving the world. It's better than the truth: he's a selfish old man who smokes and still doesn't want me. I wish I could sever the ties for good, but I just don't have it in me.

4 comments:

Queen Bee said...

Hugs, Christi. You don't need a guy like that in your life, you're right. You deserve much much better.

Heather said...

*HUGS*HUGS*HUGS* Your post could have been mine. I met mine at 18 too and wished I hadnt.

The Cluck Wagon said...

Big hugs. It's his loss, not yours.

Karen said...

Huge hugs! He obviously doesn't know what he gave up, and from the way it sounds, you were better off with out him.