Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Can I borrow your life?

I have this aunt who has this thing. It involves entitlement to every aspect of my life. She has horses too. Last year when I was just starting to get back into horses my dad took me where I needed to go. He also took her. Difference being? I paid gas money. Last winter I decided I was in it for broke and I bought my own trailer. This spring I bought a bigger truck. This fall.. a bigger horse. You get the picture. I've been slowly growing into it. She's had horses since I can remember. She's never owned a trailer. Having already worn out the other family members, I became fresh meat. Here's the deal: I get to buy the equipment, pay for the equipment, maintain the equipment, and she gets to borrow it whenever she wants - for free. Pretty sweet, huh?

I really don't mind sharing with family. My mom, aunt, and I trade things all the time. Giving without gratitude bothers me. I don't hear a thank you... in fact I'm treated like crap every other second of the day unless I'm being asked to loan something out. I feel guilty if I say no, I'm resentful if I say yes (did I mention things often come back trashed or don't come back at all?).

It isn't as if she's homeless, her family way income is much higher than mine. Seriously, if you are going to run with the big dogs, you had better be ready to pony up the dough. Nothing bothers me more than an ungrateful mooch.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yikes, Maybe you should make up a senerio... and tell it to your aunt about a friend who needs the trailer and you are charging her a rental fee and its very reasonable considering it would cost $$$$ to rent it anywhere else for that length of time... etc. Maybe she will get the hint. Just be sure to mention the maintenance... oh and if you have a problem making up a story... Can I borrow your trailer sometime in November? I have this thing that I need to go to and I need to transport my horse. Let me know! ;)

Karen said...

Ugh! I have no advice. Hope that maybe somehow she sees how annoying it is.

I'm LOL at heather though.

Oh, what if you mentioned it to your mom? Could she maybe mention to your aunt how ungrateful she is being?

Queen Bee said...

That stinks.