Saturday, September 30, 2006

The End

Tomorrow is the last horse show of the season for us. It is bittersweet. This is the first year that I have committed as much time, money, and energy to showing. We had a blast. The kids are leading the points in their respective classes as far as I know. Shawn is glad it is over I think. Alyssa would show everyday if she could.

It is also the last planned show for our 19 year old arthritis mare. We bought her as a yearling. I broke her when I was 10 years old and did all the riding on her for the first 5 years or so she was shown. She was my baby. She then took my sister through her first years on a horse and started several other cousins and friends. Then she started all three of my kids. She's getting too old to keep going in the showring, but I hope she can still be ridden. She often limps, a result of the years of hard riding we put her through. She's been the most wonderful babysitter I've ever seen. She's been to the state fair with at least 3 different kids. I was hoping she'd go one more time, but I don't think it will happen. I'm glad she was in my life. I'm glad she lived long enough to be in my children's lives.

We are showing her youngest baby now. This little mare was meant to be her mother's replacement. Even though they are different colors and different sizes, they are the same exact horse with the exact same temperament.

Thank you, Cuddles, for carrying me through so much of my life. I hope your remaining years are the happiest you're ever had. I love you.

3 comments:

Queen Bee said...

Awwww, hugs for you!! What a great tribute to Cuddles...can you share a pic sometime?

Karen said...

How sweet. THat was very nice. I'm glad she was there for your family. She sounds like a truly special horse.

Heather said...

Oh, *HUGS* its hard losing a pal! I cant wait to have horses again! I loved your post today!