Monday, September 11, 2006

It's Probably Green with Purple Spots

The sock monster has always wreaked havoc on my life. I hate folding socks. I hate it more than I hate doing dishes, well almost anyways. Tonight, with a little prodding, I decided it was time to see what the damage for say... the last year... has been. Since going back to work full time always, my solution has been to pile up and save the little lost left-overs. We we run out of matching socks, then it's time to get new socks. I never really deal with those lost little children that the monster leaves behind. As I dug through the bags of socks, there were all sorts of little memories. I've never been able to buy the same style twice, so I had a memory book chronicling the growth of my children. Most of the socks no longer fit the original owner. I passed those ones on to the next one in line. With all the sock drawers in the house full, I tied the remaining ones in knots to give to the dog to play with. It was nice getting the storage space back, but I dread starting my collection over. I've made a promise to myself that they get one chance next time. If they leave the dryer without a mate, those socks are moving to the trash. There will be no more grace periods.

A couple of months ago that I even started throwing away the socks with holes in them.

2 comments:

Karen said...

OMG! That same monster lives in my house. At one point, I had a kitchen trash bag of un-mated socks. I don't know why i kept them. I guess I kept hoping the mate would show up. The poor things waited years...

Heather said...

OMGOSH... you dont know HOW your post rings true to me... I am a sock FREAK!

I buy different socks EVERYtime I need new socks... and how often is that... Oohhhh about every 3 months... because I am a sock freak.

I used to number my socks so that they would always be easy to match up... and if I have gone thru the laundry twice and not found its match (2 weeks) then its a goner... in the trash BYE BYE!

A friend of mine.. just to bug me wears two WRONG SOCKS all the time and then calls me to see and it bugs me all night... Like two different COLORED socks even.. so crazy!

Totally off your post... LOL but I understand the dreaded sock collection.... ;) And good for you by shortening the grace period.

And dont get me started on holes and socks... LOL